RH850 D1M1A Setup Instructions
This topic helps you setup the development environment for Renesas' RH850.
- Ensure that the common Renesas prerequisites are met
- Install Green Hills Multi IDE. Qt for MCUs is tested against version 7.1.6 together with Compiler 2018.1.5 and Probe 5.6.4 for V800.
- Install Renesas Graphics Library for D1M1/2(H) for Green Hills Compiler. Qt for MCUs is tested against version
- Launch Qt Creator and select Tools > Options > Devices > MCU.
- Select the Qt for MCUs 1.6 - RH850-D1M1A-BAREMETAL 32bpp from the drop-down list for Target supported by the Qt for MCUs SDK.
- Ensure that the Green Hills Compiler and Renesas Graphics Library path are correct.
- In the Requirements section, ensure that the platform-specific requirements are met.
- Select Automatically create kits for all available targets on start to create kits automatically.
Note: You could also manually create/remove kits using Create Kit and Remove Kit.
- Click Apply and restart Qt Creator if you choose to create kits automatically.
Note: The Automatically create kits for all available targets on start option is available from Qt Creator v4.14 onwards. On older versions of Qt Creator, you have to explictly create or remove kits using Create kit or Remove kit.
To get started from the command line, ensure that the following environment variables are set:
Qul_DIRto the Qt for MCUs SDK install path.
<QT_INSTALL_PATH>is the Qt install directory,
<VERSION>is the directory containing the Qt Quick Ultralite version you are using, for example
- Create the
GHS_COMPILER_DIRenvironment variable and set it to the GHS Compiler installation path. For example:
- Create the
RGL_DIRenvironment variable and set it to the Renesas Graphics Library installation path. For example:
Qt Creator provides a build configuration with the kit that you created earlier for the Qt for MCUs 1.6 - RH850-D1M1A-BAREMETAL 32bpp target. If you are using a command-line setup, configure using the following CMake variables. For more information, see the CMake Manual.
Warning: Please note that Ninja Generator causes issues with an incremental build on GHS. It is recommended to use NMake Makefiles or NMake Makefiles JOM. If Ninja generator is still used CMake will display a warning.
The platform to build must be set to
rh850-d1m1a-baremetalfor this board.
This platform supports the GHS toolchain.
The supported color depth by this platform is 32-bit.
Note: If this variable is not set, default color depth is used while configuring for the platform.
Connect the Mango Adapter to the Main Board, and ensure that all jumpers and switches are set exactly as described.
To enable HDMI video output, follow the jumper and dip-switch configuration.
On the Mango Main Board:
- Connect the JP96 pins
- Open JP98 pins 2 and 3, and connect pin PJ99 to JP98-2.
- DSW31.7 switch set to OFF
On the Mango Adapter Board:
- DSW1.1 switch set to OFF
To enable flashing and debugging, ensure that the following switch configuration is set:
To be able to use the HMI section on the board (HMI knob and 4-direction switch), open JP30 and set the DWS29.1-1 switches to ON.
Note: This setup can interfere with CAN. See Mango Main Board reference docs for more details.
Qt for MCUs provides the source code of several demos and examples. You can modify, build, and flash custom binaries onto the target device.
Source code for supported demos and examples is organized in the following directory structure:
Note: Demos or examples that are highlighted in bold are the only ones supported on this board.
Open the CMake project file for the example you want to build and configure it with the kit you created earlier. Once the project is configured, select Run or press Ctrl+r on your keyboard to build and flash the binary to the target.
The following example builds the
automotive demo for RH850 D1M1A:
cd %Qul_DIR%\demos\automotive mkdir build cd build cmake .. -G "Ninja" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=%Qul_DIR%\lib\cmake\Qul\toolchain\ghs.cmake -DQUL_PLATFORM=RH850-D1M1A-baremetal cmake --build .
The same procedure applies to any other application.
Following CMake options are available exclusively for this platform:
|QUL_USE_DEFAULT_RH850_STARTUP_FILE||By default Qt Quick Ultralite is using startup file that comes with the |
You can use Renesas Flash Programmer in order to flash the Automotive demo binary to the RH850 D1M1A board. The binary can be found in the following location
- Launch Renesas Flash Programmer
- Create a new project by using menu File > New Project...
- Enter desired project name and location. Click Connect button
- When Set Clock window appears, enter 8 MHz as Main Clock Frequency and click OK button
- When the setup completes, you should see Operation Completed message in the output window
- In the main window, ensure that the Operation tab is selected. Click the Browse... button, and navigate to the directory that contains the compiled binary and select it.
- Click the Start button and wait for the operation to complete
- Disconnect Renesas flash programmer from the board
You can use Renesas e2 studio to debug applications built with QUL.
- Open Renesas e2 studio
- Create new C/C++ Project
- Select Renesas Debug Only Project
- Enter Project name and click Next >
- Select Debug hardware depends on which debug probe you have E1 (RH850) or E2 (RH850)
- Select RH850 > RH850/D1M1A-V2 > R7F701462 as a Target Device
- Provide executable path to binary you want debug, e.g.
- Select Finish
- Select Launch in 'Debug' mode
- GDB server will upload your binary to the target and start debugging
Available under certain Qt licenses.
Find out more.