What's New in Qt 5.1
Qt 5.1 introduces many changes for helping developers continue creating wonderful applications, easily and with less code. As well in this release, focus is placed on bug fixing and new features, while maintaining compatibility with Qt 5.0.
This page is a summary of new features. For specific API changes, the List of API Changes section contains links to new and obsolete classes.
New modules add more functionality for developers to use on various platforms.
- Qt Quick Controls - a set of reusable UI controls. Qt 5.1 targets desktop platforms, while future releases will include more features useful on touch devices.
- Qt Quick Layouts - provides layouts for Qt Quick
- Qt Quick Dialogs - contains types for creating and interacting with system dialogs
- Qt X11 Extras - adds platform specific APIs for X11
- Qt Sensors - provides access to sensor hardware and motion gesture recognition both via QML and C++ interfaces. Supports Android, BlackBerry, iOS, and Mer platforms.
- Qt Serial Port - provides an interface for hardware and virtual serial ports
The All Modules page contains a list of all modules in Qt 5.1.
Qt 5.1 introduces support for following new platforms with technology preview status:
- New keyword in Q_PROPERTY(),
MEMBER, lets you bind a property to a class member without requiring to have a getter or a setter.
- On Windows: Added support for specifying application icon (via
- Added support for SHA3 to QCryptographicHash
- Added toInt(), toUInt(), and similar functions to QStringRef
- A new threadsafe initialization of global statics through refactored Q_GLOBAL_STATIC.
- A new class, QLockFile, provides locking between processes using a file. This lock enables applications to check that there is only one instance of it running.
- A new class, QSaveFile, provides transaction such as file writing.
- Support for embedding and reparenting of windows created from other processes, via QWindow::fromWinId().
- QWidget::createWindowContainer() adds the capability to embed QWindow instances, such as QQuickView or a QWindow using QOpenGLContext, into a QWidget hierarchy.
- Support for kerning advances in QRawFont::advancesForGlyphIndexes.
- QImageReader and QImageWriter adds the ability to report supported MimeTypes.
- New input method plugin, QComposeInputContext.
- New GTK+ 2.x platformtheme plugin that provides native file, font, and color dialogs.
- New class, QOpenGLContext::versionFunctions(), provides access to all OpenGL functions.
- New QOpenGLTimerQuery and QOpenGLTimeMonitor classes.
- New QOpenGLDebugLogger class expose KHR_debug extension for easy debugging.
- Added support for Geometry, Tessellation Control, Tessellation Evaluation, and Compute shaders to QOpenGLShader and QOpenGLShaderProgram.
- New QOpenGLVertexArrayObject class.
- New encrypted() signal to QNetworkAccessManager and QNetworkReply so that applications can perform additional checks on the certificate chain.
- Support for sending intermediate certificates when QSslSocket is used as a server and when using client certificates.
- Support for SSL session reuse allowing much faster connections to servers.
- New QQmlApplicationEngine convenience class for QML applications.
- New Instantiatior type for generic, dynamic object creation.
- New QtQml.Models module containing ListElement, ListModel, DelegateModel, DelegateModelGroup, and ObjectModel.
- New properties for Qt::application: arguments, name, and version.
- New threaded render loop for Mac, Linux, and Embedded.
- New render loop for windows for smoother animations.
- New Qt Quick Dialogs submodule with FileDialog and ColorDialog types.
- New Window properties: activeFocusItem, minimumWidth, minimumHeight, maximumWidth, maximumHeight, visibility, contentOrientation, and opacity.
- New Item property: activeFocusOnTab.
- New Grid properties: horizontalAlignment, verticalAlignment, and effectiveHorizontalAlignment.
- New TextEdit properties: selectByKeyboard and textDocument
- A Window declared inside another Window or Item will automatically be transient for (centered upon) the outer window.
- Improved font rendering, kerning enabled by default.
- Improved garbage collection.
- Support for WOFF fonts.
- Support for WebGL without accelerated compositing.
- Support for GStreamer 1.0.
- Improved perceived page load performance and support for Link prefetch.
- Added property toolTipsVisible in QMenu.
Qt Creator 2.7 complements this Qt release with the most prominent new features:
- Improved C++11 code editing support
- Qt Quick Designer with full support for Qt Quick
- Android development target
- Experimental QBS and diff integration
- Restored support for static Qt builds
The pages below contain a list of API changes in Qt 5.1
© 2019 The Qt Company Ltd. Documentation contributions included herein are the copyrights of their respective owners. The documentation provided herein is licensed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.3 as published by the Free Software Foundation. Qt and respective logos are trademarks of The Qt Company Ltd. in Finland and/or other countries worldwide. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.