A pre-compiled emulator executable is provided as a part of Qt for Device Creation and Qt Automotive Suite installations. Thus, in order to install the emulator, your Qt Account needs to contain a Device Creation license.
You can install the emulator via the online installer. Before installing the emulator, remember to install the Platform Dependencies.
Note: The emulator Git repositories are not public so you cannot compile the emulator from sources.
The emulator installation requires the VirtualBox virtualization software. You can download it from VirtualBox Download or install it via the distribution tools. The required minimum version is VirtualBox 4.3.
Installing VirtualBox on Older Ubuntu Versions
If you are running an older Ubuntu system such as 12.04, the version of VirtualBox provided by the distribution is not recent enough. To install a newer version, first add a foreign package source:
wget -q http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/oracle_vbox.asc -O- | sudo apt-key add - echo "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian $(lsb_release -sc) contrib" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/virtualbox.list sudo apt-get update
Then, install VirtualBox on your computer:
sudo apt-get install virtualbox-4.3
After you have installed VirtualBox, configure it:
- Start the VirtualBox user interface.
- Select File > Preferences > Network to open VirtualBox network settings.
- Create a new host-only network. VirtualBox automatically assigns a name for the new host-only network. On Linux the default name is vboxnet0, and on Windows the default name is VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter.
Note: If the created host-only network is not named with the default name, you must change the VirtualBox settings to use the created host-only network. In VirtualBox:
Boot2Qt-<Qt version number>machine in the VirtualBox main view. For example, in Qt5.10 you select
- Select Machine > Settings > Network > Adapter 1 and choose the created host-only network in the Name field.
- Edit the properties of the created host-only network:
- Change the IPv4 address to
192.168.56.1and the IPv4 network mask to
- In the DCHP Server tab, select the Enable Server check box.
- Change the server address to
- Change both the lower and upper address bounds to
- Change the IPv4 address to
If a firewall is enabled on the development host, it needs to allow TCP and UDP packets between your host and the virtual machine.
© 2018 The Qt Company Ltd. Documentation contributions included herein are the copyrights of their respective owners. The documentation provided herein is licensed under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License version 1.3 as published by the Free Software Foundation. Qt and respective logos are trademarks of The Qt Company Ltd. in Finland and/or other countries worldwide. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.